ASEH offers eight awards, which have different submission requirements - all are described below.
Each year, the ASEH awards the following four prizes for outstanding scholarship in the field of environmental history. Click on the award below to obtain the instructions for submitting your work for consideration.
- George Perkins Marsh Prize for best book in environmental history
- Leopold-Hidy Prize for best article in journal Environmental History (with Forest History Society)
- Alice Hamilton Prize for best article outside journal Environmental History
- Rachel Carson Prize for best dissertation in environmental history
Service and Achievement Awards:
ASEH also recognizes service and achievement in environmental history through the four awards described below. Click on the award below to obtain the instructions for nominating a candidate or project.
- Distinguished Scholar Award given every two years to an individual who has contributed significantly to environmental history scholarship; membership in ASEH is not required. Click here for brief form to submit for nomination.
- Distinguished Service Award given every year to an individual who has contributed significantly to the development of ASEH as an organization; membership in ASEH is required. Click here for brief form to submit for nomination.
- Public Outreach Project Award presented every two years to an environmental history project that engages the public. We will be accepting applications for this award in 2015. Click here for submission instructions.
- Distinguished Career in Public Environmental History presented every two years to an individual who has promoted environmental history to the public over time. Click here for brief form to submit for nomination.
General Guidelines for Submitting for four awards described above:
Anyone can nominate candidates for the above four service and achievement awards, and ASEH's executive committee appoints a committee to select the recipients. Current members of ASEH's executive committee are not eligible while they are serving.
Pictured left: Susan Flader, recipient of ASEH's Distinguished Service award, and Donald Worster, ASEH's Distinguished Scholar awardee, celebrate with ASEH President Doug Weiner in 2004.